0357cbe8-720e-478b-8205-938f671ff706

ProLococampofelice.IAT                             ©

ProLococampofelice.IAT

2fb6f527-8d4b-42f9-a2c9-0df491b4c4de

The Roccella Tower 

The castle has very ancient origins, and it has been a fundamental place for the history and economy of this entire area. The geographer Edrisi, as early as 1139, speaks of a small hamlet on top of a cliff in a location that seems to correspond precisely to present-day Campofelice di Roccella. Over the centuries, the castle has changed several owners and also its intended use. In 1218 it was granted to the Monastery of Montevergine for the construction of a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. But such a fertile territory in such a strategic area attracts a lot of attention, especially from the Ventimiglia family, who became its owners in 1385 and cultivated wheat here.

 

In 1507 the castle passed to the Alliata family who expanded their holdings and first introduced the cultivation of sugar cane and later also that of rice. The production was very profitable: in fact, many people worked here and the products were exported to France, England, and Flanders. The Alliata remained owners until the mid-1600s, when, due to various problems, they lost the entire fief. From this moment on, the castle changed several owners and in 1708, the castle and the barony became the property of Antonio Marziani, Prince of Furnari.

907033fb-8c60-40fe-bf19-30059e0b362f
eyJpdCI6IiJ9eyJpdCI6IiJ9eyJpdCI6IiJ9eyJpdCI6IiJ9
0357cbe8-720e-478b-8205-938f671ff706

ProLococampofelice.IAT                             ©